The Building Leadership and Capacity to Advance Health Equity Training is an interactive experience designed to build participants’ knowledge, skills, and capacity to apply equity-centered principles and practices to organizations, systems, and policies that influence the health of people and communities. This training is offered as a part of the Culture of Health Institute for Leadership Development.
During this intermediate-level training, participants will build and enhance their health equity practice through knowledge sharing, problem-solving activities and peer exchanges in a safe environment that allow for deeper engagement of complex topics and challenges. Participants will leave the training prepared to serve as health equity champions within their organization and as a resource for their colleagues to ensure that equity is considered in all stages of organizational program planning and execution.
- Institutionalize equity: Articulate a framework and identify tools for operationalizing health equity and building an equity-oriented organization.
- Understand history and look upstream: Explain how systems, policies, and ideologies produce and maintain health inequities in the U.S. by race, gender, class and other social determinants.
- Build cultural competence: Learn how cultural competence can be applied to build culturally competent organizations, programs and policies.
- Understand and reduce bias: Learn “de-biasing” techniques to either unlearn or better manage implicit biases that may affect decision-making on behalf of marginalized and disadvantaged communities.
- Authentically engage communities: Leverage best practices to ensure community voice and leadership are leveraged to generate effective, community competent interventions and solutions
- Build community power: Understand how power fits into a health equity framework and the role of community power building strategies for advancing health equity.
- Communicate equity messages: Apply basic framing strategies including narrative development, messaging and reframing principles to successfully communicate about
equity to diverse audiences.
The application for this event is now closed. Accepted applicants will receive travel scholarships to cover transportation, accommodations and incidentals for the training. Please direct any additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.